Monday 8 April 2019

Aussie Rules Not OK.

I see police in Australia have arrested hundreds of vegans protesting against animal cruelty. The Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, called them ‘green collar criminals’, and said their actions were ‘shameful and un-Australian.’

Un-Australian? What the hell does that mean? I’ve known some very good Australians (mostly of Chinese descent, I have to admit) but the fact is that Australia is a very small country in terms of population, and is generally of little consequence internationally. So can it be that Australia is really going head to head in a battle with America for top spot in the cultural insecurity stakes, and is Scott Morrison really going toe to toe with Trump in the leader-with-the-smallest-brain competition? Or are they simply aping big and powerful America because they imagine there’s some virtue in so doing?

I could tell you what’s really shameful here, but I sincerely hope that I don’t need to.

No comments: