Thursday 11 April 2019

The CT Scan and the Image.

I have my next set of CT scans coming up on Monday and do you know what really bothers me about them? I’ll tell you what really bothers me about them.

The scans I have are of thorax, abdomen and pelvis, so I have to strip down to my underwear (which can include a T shirt as long as it’s plain) before donning a regulation hospital gown and taking my place in the inner waiting area. But here’s the rub: I’m also told to leave my shoes and socks on.

So there I am, sitting on a chair with a few other suitably gowned people, while my bare legs stick out below the bottom of the gown and culminate in a pair of shoes and socks. Not exactly suave, you must admit. It looks gauche, inelegant, patently absurd, and makes me feel really silly. So who says you have to stop being image conscious just because you’ve grown old and ugly and are about to have your insides photographed?

(The other thing that bothers me is that the contrast dye they inject you with can cause anaphylactic shock, but I only have Dr House’s word for that so I choose to ignore it.)

No comments: