Sunday 16 December 2018

On Wizards, Witches, and a Better Way.

Early in the Harry Potter story Hagrid tells Harry ‘You’re a wizard, Harry,’ and this simple statement establishes the young protagonist’s place in the scheme of things. He is a superior being and all set up to be recognised as the Chosen One. But imagine if Hagrid had turned up at the Granger’s residence with the message ‘You’re a witch, Hermione.’ I suspect the reaction would have been quite different, and that isn’t fair.

 Reassuring

Menacing
 
Western culture – for which read Christian culture – has always not only tolerated the wizard, but honoured him as a wise and mysterious older man fit to move in the most exalted of circles. This is nothing new; the basis of what became the current Arthurian myth goes back at least as far as the 12th century when Geoffrey of Monmouth wrote The History of the Kings of Britain. Merlin might sometimes be a mysterious and reclusive character, but he is also the trusted advisor to the king, the one who engineers the quantum shift from dark to light.

So what of his female counterpart, the witch? She has never been tolerated in Christian culture, never been trusted or afforded the right to belong. She, too, is mysterious and reclusive, but there the similarity with her male equivalent ends. She is dark, evil, reviled and hunted down. While Merlin is allowed to be a pillar of the Establishment, Morgan le Fey is the bad girl of the story who will stop at nothing to destroy the rightful king and return the dark times.

There is nothing new in my saying this, either. It’s just that I think certain worthy causes need reviving now and then.

*  *  *

And since I started with Harry Potter, I might go on to mention that I’m beginning to wonder whether the whole concept can be viewed as an allegory. It’s just that Lord Voldermort strikes me as the epitome of those who have largely run the world over the past few thousand years – and most of them have been men. Maybe we should be considering that the world would be a much better place if it were run by a committee of Harry, Ron, Hermione, Luna, Ginny and Neville Longbottom.

And how satisfying that there should be three men and three women. I do so like equality of respect and opportunity. A battery does, after all, require opposite poles if it is to function properly.

4 comments:

Della said...

A very encouraging thought! I must catch up on your blog. Hope you are well, J.J.

JJ said...

You know, the one thing I find odd about the massive and highly committed regiment of Potterheads is that they're constantly arguing over whether Hermione should have married Harry instead of Ron. Nobody ever mentions Moaning Myrtle. She was, after all, the only one who ever offered to let Harry share her toilet.

Nice to hear from you, Della. I really have no idea whether I'm well or not, but I hope you are. And I've taken this long to reply because I've had no internet for three days.

Della said...

I've gotten a glimpse into your health issues via the blog, so sending you lots of positive thoughts on a steady recovery. I can imagine from now on there will be more frequent screenings, which I can imagine is no fun. I'm doing fine, besides more minor health complaints and general fatigue in these dark winter days. So sad it was overcast this morning because I was up and had really wanted to see the 'super blood wolf moon' in eclipse :( The moons of winter can be so magical. Did you see it?

I know what you mean about moaning Myrtle but actually, Harry should've married Luna Lovegood :)

JJ said...

Ah, the screenings... You will have noticed that I don't relish the prospect, not least because of all the wondering as the day approaches what they're going to find. And then there's the waiting for results, and the nervous anticipation of the mail deliveries because if they've found something you'll probably get a letter very quickly. I've often thought how awful it must have been for parents and wives during the two World Wars waiting for a postman to come to the door bearing a telegram. Maybe this isn't quite that bad, but it's still an anxiety inducer.

No, I didn't see the eclipse. I go to bed a bit earlier these days and I was fast asleep when it was due to happen. We also had a very heavy mist last night.

I do remember one January moon maybe five or six years ago when we had a very cold winter here. The full moon coincided with a clear sky and at about 2am I went and stood on the lawn to see it. The temperature was well below freezing and there was deep snow lying, but I stood there for quite some time and really felt the sense of power from it. Mel later told me that she'd been driving back from somewhere and had to stop the car because she felt it was making her dizzy. I gather a few people reported odd sensations that night.

Both Moaning Myrtle and dear Luna are favourite characters of mine, but I always felt that Luna was destined to become the ultimate expression of the classic cat lady.

Thanks for keeping in touch, Della. Comments are rare these days and yours are always appreciated.