Wednesday 5 December 2018

On the Feminine and the Danger of Desire.

I discovered two things last night which caused me to guess at the reason why Mr Loopy is currently taking a nap: I seem to have settled into a reflective state at the moment, in which there is no place for the silly and the surreal.

The first thing I discovered was this song from the Faun album Midgard:

 
I don’t speak German so I don’t know what the lyrics mean, but it doesn’t matter because my relationship with the music of song often makes the words irrelevant anyway. And what this song suggests to me – whatever the words mean – is that the power of the feminine is often soft, but also has the potential to plumb depths which are unfathomable to the average male. It further brings to mind the bond of sisterhood, and leads me to recommend that boys should be taught from birth that they underestimate the power of sisterhood at their peril.

The second was a Korean film called Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter …and Spring. There’s a point in the film where the wise old Buddhist monk says to the young novice:

‘Have you not yet learned that you should avoid desire because desire leads to attachment and attachment leads to suffering?’

It made me wonder whether, during the health trials which occupied much of this year, I should never have wanted to get better. Maybe I should have accepted with equanimity that what will be will be. If I had, I think it likely that the suffering would have been substantially ameliorated. And now I’m engaged in ruminating on the various ways in which attachment to life can lead to suffering.

I won’t spend too long thinking about it, though. I’ve usually found that the best answers to the deepest questions come in their own time as long as the question is left open. And Mr Loopy will probably wake up eventually, suitably refreshed and a tiny bit more enlightened.

No comments: