Wednesday 5 December 2018

Missing the Target Again.

I listened to a Polish all-woman close harmony group called Laboratorium Pieśni tonight, and ever since I’ve been bombarded with adverts in Polish. I sometimes get the same thing when I watch Chinese videos. It appears that Google’s targeted advertising program assumes that if you watch a video from Poland or China you must be Polish or Chinese. Maybe I should torture myself with Rolf Harris singing Waltzing Matilda and see whether I get showered with adverts for Foster’s Lager (I assume only Australians are prepared to sacrifice themselves to the patriotic principle by drinking the stuff. It really is that bad.) But seriously…

I hate adverts on principle and ignore them as a matter of routine. And when they start throwing adverts at me in a language I don’t understand it all becomes just a little too absurd. You’d think targeted advertising would be more sophisticated, wouldn’t you?

*  *  *

On a more positive note, I had coffee today with the only stylish person in the whole of Stoke on Trent. My 15-year-old granddaughter.

No comments: