Saturday 22 December 2018

Muddling the Gold Standard.

Why do people leave comments on YouTube like: ‘This is the most beautiful song ever written.’ Have they heard every song ever written? Do they really believe their judgement to be impeccable when considering the quantitive assessment of beauty? And more to the point, do they seriously imagine that such an abstract and ultimately subjective concept as beauty can even be definitively assessed in such terms?

Mel once scolded me for being hyper-rational. Maybe she was right, or maybe I just like people to talk sense. Muddled thinking must run religion and greed pretty close in the race to be most responsible for the ills of the world.

And when am I going to re-establish my old rule that serious posts are banned after 10pm? I remember a time when my blog was somebody’s favourite bed time reading (or so she said.)

No comments: