Monday 17 December 2018

A Name Passing Through.

It’s an odd thing, but sometimes I get an unfamiliar name drop firmly into my head like it’s supposed to mean something. I never have any idea where it came from or how it got there, but when it does I have to lick it, suck it, roll it around my tongue, and do that thing the pretentious, prancing people do with wine. What’s it called? Volatising. That’s it; I have to volatise it. (It means sucking the air in through the front teeth so as to release the flowery top notes, woody undertones, intriguing hints of cyanide, and things like that. It all sounds a bit daft if you ask me, but nobody is asking me so I don’t suppose it matters.)

Anyway, today’s unfamiliar name was Leonora Bullstrode. I haven't a clue who she is or was, but I decided it would be an excellent name for a character if I was still writing fiction. But I’m not, so that doesn’t matter either.

No comments: