Thursday 3 October 2013

Variations on a Theme.

I was sheltering from the rain in a shop doorway today, along with several other people doing the same, watching a group of British Red Cross volunteers trying to interest shoppers in taking out a regular donation agreement. There was one young woman who was trying particularly hard, though not aggressively, but having no success. Eventually she turned to me, sighed ruefully, and came over to talk.

Why me? I can only assume that I must have looked sympathetic because she made no attempt to interest me in taking out a regular donation agreement. Instead, we just talked generally about the Red Cross and its work. She told me that 50% of the Red Cross budget goes into projects here in Britain, and that, among other things, they go and ‘hang out with elderly and lonely people.’ I remarked – also ruefully – that I was well on the way to becoming an elderly and lonely person, and she said ‘Maybe I could come and hang out with you.’

What does one say to that? Nothing, obviously. It was time to wish her luck and move off into the rain.

But I did give a pound to a rough looking guy sitting on a blanket and being very attentive to his friendly canine companion. Yes, I know the Friendly Dog Trick is the oldest in the book, and I continue to fall for it with my eyes wide open.

No comments: