Tuesday 22 October 2013

Envisaging the Visitors.

Somebody from France visited the blog tonight. Somebody from France quite often does, but tonight the realisation hit me:

There is a mysterious but real person, with a real computer, sitting in a real room, somewhere in Paris or Nice or Bordeaux or somewhere, reading my blog. It felt odd, profound even, and a picture started to coalesce, something along the lines of The Age of Reason. The bedroom in the apartment, the diffidence, the aged mother… (Maybe I should have thought Therese Raquin, and the ghost of the murdered husband in the forbidden bed.)

It’s all about national stereotypes, you see. The Russian is a man from Moscow. The Ukrainian is a woman with Slavic features and blonde hair. The Latvian looks Scandinavian, even though she wouldn’t like to be told as much. As for the Californian… A Madame with a Salon? A gay hairdresser? A gumshoe from Sunset Strip? Ah, but now I’m going into other sorts of stereotype, and maybe I shouldn’t.

The Germans and New Yorkers are no mystery. They’re friends who talk to me.

*  *  *

The blood blister on my hand has reached that irritating stage where the edges are starting to come loose. You want to pick at it, but you know you mustn’t. Not yet. Patience, my boy; your reward will come in days, rather than weeks.

*  *  *

The wind is whistling and the rain is spattering my office window. Two scotches down, a couple more to go. Bryan Ferry is singing Avalon. It’s 2am.

No comments: