Friday 1 February 2013

The Two Strands of Atheism.

I’ve noticed that atheists take one of two positions. The first, and rational, position is:

‘There is no way of proving that there is any form of reality beyond the mundane, therefore I see no reason to believe it and choose not to.’

The second, and irrational, position is:

‘There is no way of proving that there is any form of reality beyond the mundane, therefore it must be delusion.’

Those taking the second position are surely as guilty of making dogma out of belief as the theists are, and the choice seems to come down to the individual’s nature. Those choosing the second position appear generally to be either pompous, narrow minded, lacking intelligence, or some permutation of the three.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel that, "There is no way of proving that there is any form of reality beyond the mundane" but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Open minds, open hearts. That's the way folks should try to live, I feel.

JJ said...

Agreed, but do you believe?

I suspect you do because you want to, but are reluctant to admit it because you fear ridicule. That and the fact that 'believe' falls too uneasily between 'accept' and 'reject.'

I like your dogs, by the way. Dogs are the best of grounders and the best of friends, I think. Dogs help to keep life simple; and how much do we sensitive, thinking souls need simplicity now and then?

Anonymous said...

I do believe, you're right. But I don't fear ridicule, actually. I'm comfortable with all my beliefs, they sit well with me, and if someone's too *uncomfortable* to accept that, it's their problem. I've been told what I think and feel is stupid/wrong/misguided quite enough to realize what matters and what doesn't.

Hey, thanks. I like them, too. I've mentioned how Enya helps to ground me before, and can agree with you. They're tapped into the vast quiet joy of the world. It's something we understand, too, but need some help getting there.

JJ said...

I think we're probably born there, but leave it behind when we grow up and get complicated.