Monday 4 February 2013

Fascinating Feedjit.

The Feedjit stats tracker was down for part of today. I find that irritating because dear Feedjit adds a whole extra dimension to the blogging business. I don’t know how any blogger gets by without a Feedjit. I don’t. Feedjits are fascinating things.

For a start, they help demonstrate how blogging is a bit like writing a message on a piece of paper, putting it into a bottle, and then throwing it into the mist. Sometimes you hear the bottle smash on waste ground, sometimes the bottle gets thrown back with a written reply, and sometimes there’s nothing: no smash, and no return. And that has you thinking: Somebody has caught the bottle. Did they read the note, and what did they think?

It tells me that there are three people in the UK who visit my blog regularly and frequently, and I haven’t a clue who they are. They catch the bottle, but they never throw it back. That’s intriguing.

And today it showed me that another three people – one esteemed person from somewhere north of NYC, one esteemed person from the coastal mountains of south west Turkey, and one of the unknowns referred to above – all visited my blog within five seconds of each other. So that has me thinking again: isn’t it odd that three people from different parts of the world chose to drop onto my blog at virtually the same time?

See what I mean? Fascinating.

*  *  *

This post is made in lieu of two other posts I was planning to make about gay marriage and Holocaust Memorial Day, but couldn’t be bothered. I’m not in the mood at the moment for serious blog posts. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: