Wednesday 6 February 2013

What is Joy?

I was asked:

‘I went for a walk in the snow yesterday, and then had a meal in a fine restaurant. Is that joy? What is joy?’

Joy is a relative stranger to me. I’ve had plenty of fun in life, but joy has been thin on the ground. To experience joy, I think you first have to establish connection with something. Connection doesn’t come easily to me, and it doesn’t sit easily even when it does arrive. I swear I dropped into mortal life this time round intending to observe, and that’s what I’ve done.

4 comments:

Wendy S. said...

For me, joy is an extension of gratitude whether it's something large or something as beautiful as rain. Some people like the Dalai Lama are able to experience joy whatever the circumstance is. I have yet to be able to do this. I hope you post more about your joys.

JJ said...

Funny you should say that, Wendy. I just did. Dogs. That'll do for a start.

Anonymous said...

Wendy's sentiment was spot on, I do believe. I feel great joy at the things in my life, ones great and small, and it's always because I experience a deep sense of gratitude for them.

JJ said...

Does that include knowing me? Haha! Don't answer.