Thursday 21 February 2013

False Face Must Hide...

I don’t see how I can be expected to get close to a person who hides their troubled emotional state behind a false smile. If the emotional state is still there, then the smile is fake and the person effectively fraudulent. What’s more, it means they’re shutting me out. They have every right to do that, but they can’t have it both ways.

*  *  *

I realised today that I’ve only ever been very good at playing one role in life. It was bitter-sweet, extremely so and in equal measure. Do I miss it? Yes and no.

*  *  *

The label on my bottle of London Porter says it complements the richest of chocolate puddings. What a strange claim for a beer. Mine’s had to make do with complementing a houmous sandwich.

*  *  *

Good days are rare these days, and this winter seems unusually long and bleak. There was a penetrating polar wind moaning its way along the now-desiccated lanes of the Shire tonight, assaulting my face all the way home. Bleakness is, at least, rather good at complementing firesides.

No comments: