Monday 11 February 2013

Jottings.

My internet is just about back up to normal speed now, which means I have YouTube again (I just checked.) The past few days were bad, and getting through them without even the company of an elf woman or two was extra difficult. And I’m not joking.

*  *  *

Talking about beautiful young things, I’m often struck by the quality of the girls sharing the lunch boxes of the lads from Thomas Alleyne’s High School in Uttoxeter, or Queen Elizabeth Grammar School in Ashbourne (both founded in the Tudor period, I believe.) They weren’t like that in my day. There wasn’t a single girl in my secondary school I would have wanted to go out with (or even share my lunch box with if I’d had one, which I didn’t.) The only two girlfriends I had prior to the age of seventeen both came from the church youth group. Yes, I belonged to a church youth group, but only up to the age of fourteen. At fifteen I became a regular pub crawler and stood under lamp posts singing ‘I’m a poor little lamb who has lost his way, bah… bah… bah…’ Oh, no; that was my granddad, or so I’m told. I only met him about twice, and nobody even told me when he died. In fact, he might still be alive for all I know, but I doubt it.

*  *  *

It was very wet yesterday, and the lane turned into a river again. I went out at dusk to clear some of the grids so that the water could run off, and do you know what? There I was standing in the torrent, getting well soaked and with fingers going numb from the cold, shovelling out spades full of soil and leaf mould, when a car came past. He didn’t cut his speed one bit – just drove past as though I wasn’t there and showered me with dirty water. Some people have an odd way of expressing gratitude, don’t they?

*  *  *

The next jotting was going to be about how difficult it is to ‘just be yourself’ since it’s so difficult to know who ‘yourself’ is, but by the time I’d fetched a piece of cheese to munch, I couldn’t be bothered. At least I have YouTube for later.

*  *  *

My office is cold tonight. In between typing, I’m holding a hot cup of tea to my lips in order to warm my nose. It’s steaming up my reading glasses. I hate winter.

No comments: