Friday 14 May 2010

Two Questions and Yet Another Woman Called Emily.

I watched a wildlife documentary last night, which included a feature on bees. We were told that bees are essential to humans, because without them nothing would get pollinated and we’d have no food to eat. Einstein calculated that if bees became extinct, humans would follow about five years later. No bees = no crops = no humans; got that? Fair enough. But then we were told that bees aren’t indigenous to Britain; they were introduced by the Romans.

So my first question is this: how did people manage to live here and grow crops for thousands of years before the Roman occupation if there weren’t any bees? I’m not denying the science, I just want an answer to the question.

And then tonight I saw that there’s a sports documentary coming up called ‘Usain Bolt; the Fastest Man Who Has Ever Lived.’

Second question: how do we know he is the fastest man who has ever lived? We’re always being told that earlier generations of humans were physically stronger than modern ones, so how do we know they weren’t faster as well? Is this part of the great five-point presumption of our times:

Humans are superior to animals.

Technologically advanced cultures are superior to simple ones.

Modern humans are superior to ancient ones.

Men make better rulers than women.

Christians are superior to everybody else.

I had to add number four because I read some stuff about Emily Davison again today. I visited her grave once as part of a commissioned photo shoot, and first read about her then. That was nearly twenty years ago, and it sent shivers up my spine. It still does. Which is all getting off the point a bit, but never mind. It’s my blog.

6 comments:

Shayna said...

I love your blog, Jeff. And the wonderments you present make me wonder, too.

I will never forget going to Rudy's grocery store with my friend Penny when we were seventeen. We were selecting apples ... Penny said something like, "isn't it funny, the person who stood here before us choosing their apple thought they were choosing the best one. And here we are, thinking that our choice is the best!"

Thanks to your post, I had this lovely flashback. Thanks, Jeff! (perhaps my thoughts are off topic, but it's my comment - hah ~.~)

Shayna said...

and ... thank you for introducing me to Emily Davison. What an absolutely remarkable woman she was - imagine her brave fearsome spirit when she hid in a cupboard overnight in the Palace of Westminster - to claim her residence that night as the 'House of Commons' on the census form ! Wow, indeed. Small wonder that shivers went up and down your spine ...

JJ said...

Yes I know, Shay. Such spirit is the stuff of worthy legend. Her headstone simply says 'Deeds, Not Words.' I stood by that grave for a long time.

Maria Sondule said...

You forgot #6: the US can do whatever it wants :P
I think #5 isn't necessarily true. All religions have some degree of thinking they're better than everyone else. There are just more Christians and so more people to spout that, not necessarily a greater proportion. Most of the Christians I know are very tolerant and not at all egotistical about their beliefs.

JJ said...

Yes, I know. I was thinking about the growth in fundamentalism, and the fact that the 'Christian' West (which mostly behaves in a way far removed from what I understand to be true Christian values) sees itself as pre-eminent.

Nice to see you. Thanks.

Nuutj said...

Enjoyed your post again. Your philosophical writings always brighten up my mind.