Sunday 2 May 2010

Priorities.

I read today that two retired US generals have joined forces to complain about the high level of obesity among American children. It seems their concern is not for the children’s health, which would be perfectly reasonable, but the fact that they’re too fat to fight. Obesity, they say, is a security issue.

My reaction was a bemused smile and a shake of the head. I wondered whether there’s more to the story than the brief report suggested. I wondered whether the two men in question are just typical hawkish rednecks and actually mean what they say, or whether there is some arcane agenda behind it. I considered whether it is yet another symptom of the rule-by-fear principle, a sign that the obsessive preoccupation with threat is achieving a level of tolerance redolent of McCarthyism. Or is the military’s need for canon fodder simply finding itself at odds with the commercial machine’s desire to feed kids rubbish until they burst? What a strange world.

6 comments:

Shayna said...

"What a strange world". Indeed, Jeff. (my mouth dropped open when I read that "they" deemed it a "security issue".) Beyond obscene.

Shayna said...

p.s. I really like your new weblog header and color background!

JJ said...

Thanks, Shay. It was actually suggested to me when I noticed how elegant your grey background is. But I couldn't just copy now, could I? Had to do me own thing, missus. The wood is in the Forest of Dean, home of the Dennis Potter plays. Did you get 'Singing Detective' and 'Pennies from Heaven' over there?

Shayna said...

You can share colors with me any old day, Jeff! Hmmm ... I've heard of both films but seen neither, that I can remember ... the Forest of Dean - looks like an enchanted place - thus, quite an appropriate image for your header.

ArtSparker said...

I like the last sentence especially, food becoming food.

JJ said...

Susan. Your evident faculty for lateral thinking has a way of producing witty statements that always take me by surprise. I'm impressed. Thank you. Hadn't thought of that one, dammit.