Sunday 30 May 2010

Money.

The concept of money fascinates me. It doesn’t actually exist, does it? It’s just a mechanism operating by mutual consent. It’s no more than countless billions of electronic impulses flashing about in the computers of the world’s banks, and being given the appearance of reality through scraps of paper and chunks of base metal issued by groups of people we call governments. It’s the most obvious of life’s illusions. And yet it dominates the very fabric of our existence.

Those who have ‘lots’ of this thing that doesn’t exist can have almost anything they want. Those who have ‘none’ of this thing that doesn’t exist can literally die of starvation. We have so rarefied the concept of value that we have completely lost touch with its relevance to worth. This strikes me as an odd way to carry on. What am I missing here?

On a more philosophical level, I argued in one old post that we shouldn’t persuade ourselves to contentment by comparing our situation with those worse off. In so doing, we are likely to fall prey to the corollary; we are equally likely to persuade ourselves to a state of discontent by comparing our situations with those who are better off. There was a news report today which said that a study had shown that those who compare their salaries to others’ are more prone to depression. Really? It took a study to work that one out, did it?

It reminded me of a ‘study’ carried out by a British university a couple of years ago. They spent a lot of time and money establishing whether ducks actually like water. It seems they do, so we can all now rest easy in the reassuring knowledge that lots of this thing that doesn’t exist has been wisely used in telling us something we really needed to know. Hallelujah!

I have little doubt that one day in the not-too-distant future, all this will come crashing down around our ears. And then the human race will be forced to re-evaluate the concept of value.

14 comments:

lucy said...

i have only one word to say: wow.

And also: I never thought about money in that way. Yes, it doesn't exist, and yet so many people's lives focus on exactly that- money, a human invention which really, if you think about it, doesn't exist. Ohohoho, wait till I tell my economics teacher about this- he'll be arguing with me for a long, long time! Ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Couldn't be stated better – Lucy sums it up, I think. I also read the BBC article you mention (how comparing salaries leads to depression) and for a brief moment thought I was losing my mind. Wow. Do you really think the human race will re-evaluate its concept of value or was that just an optimistic note to end on?

JJ said...

Hugs, Lu. I'd be really interested to know what your economics teacher says.

Della: I've been thinking for some years that economic growth has to be finite. Seems to me it's going to reach saturation point on a global scale one day. I've also been concerned about the environment since the early 80's. I find it hard to believe that we can avoid some catastrophe from one or both. If it happens, it will be awful, but maybe what's left of the human race will come out of it wiser. Is that optimistic or pessimistic? The novel includes the idea that the story of Atlantis is not a historical myth, but a seer's prediction for the global future. To be honest, I hope I've shuffled off my mortal coil by then.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree about the saturation points, both economic and environmental, and that several catastrophe scenarios are possible. I'm just not sure if we will learn from these mistakes, that part seems optimistic. Of course, it does depend on who remains to tell the story, doesn't it? (So don't be so quick to lose that mortal coil :) Provoking ideas again and I like the turn-around on Atlantis. Have a good evening!

JJ said...

Good heavens, Della. You mean you'd trust me with the remnants of humanity? I'd only teach them bad habits. But thanks for the thought.

Anthropomorphica said...

Do ducks like water? Aaah, a fool and his illusory currency are easily parted!!
Have you seen the Zeitgeist and Adendum videos Jeff? They're really interesting.

JJ said...

I've never heard of them, Melanie. What are they about? And would it be OK to call you Mel? I'm lazy.

gabriel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gabriel said...

My friend... A nice observation and for the most truth. You say the system will all crash, it may do that; you say then we will have to sit down and figure out what's next... Not so easy and I'm sure not soo peaceful..

If you or I or anyone truly believes this will someday soon crash then it is up to us to now begin to try to change it, if we feel it's hopeless, then we need to make our money more tangible by converting it to "real property" and then arming ourselves well enough to hold on it it once the shit hits the fan...

That all I'll say on this one...

smiles..gabriel

http://www.subtlethings.com
http://changeyourmindchangeyourbody.blogspot.com/

JJ said...

Gabriel: Thanks for the comment. Call me naive, but I'm hoping that such a catastrophe will finally persuade human beings to throw away their weapons and start living in peace, harmony and co-operation. Who knows? I probably won't see it in this life.

gabriel said...

We make wishes for the best, prepare for the worst. This is wisdom...

If people at like fools when all is well, I cannot image a catastrophe causing them to act well...

This was said by an America about America, but I believe it is universal...


"America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable."

~Hunter Thompson~

Anthropomorphica said...

Mel is fine lazy bones!
Zeitgeist: the movie is looking at religion and 911 as an inside job (old news now) and also the power of money, fear as a means of control etc
Addendum deals mostly with money and also the possibility of positive technology to create a utopia.
They're worth a watch though I suspect you're already on to it!!

JJ said...

Yes, indeed Mel. I've had a lot of thoughts along those lines (and more) for some time now. I'm careful in what I say, because I know that certain subjects are highly emotive, and even suggesting that there's something 'not quite right about this' can send normally placid people into instant rages. It's happened. I'll keep an eye open for them.

Anthropomorphica said...

I know!!! I'm only just learning to be selective.