Friday 14 May 2010

My First Time.

I had an odd experience this evening. I went to stand in the lane at dusk. The weather is a little more clement and I wanted to feel the atmosphere, as well as watch the bats that are now very active again.

The peace was supreme. The newly clothed sycamores were still and statuesque, the bend in the lane where the darkness descends looked as mysterious as ever, the bats were flitting hither and thither, extracting copious greetings of delight from me, and the subtle scent of fresh growth in the evening air was sublime. I stood for about ten minutes feeling that sense of wonder, the nature of which I always find a bit elusive. It’s somehow beyond the capacity of the brain fully to work out.

And then a car came down the road, a big SUV coming at speed. I made for the shelter of the hedge, my stomach knotted with the sudden violence of a car’s engine and the unholy illumination from its halogen headlights. It felt intensely wrong, so wrong. I told myself that I, too, drive down country lanes sometimes. It helped a bit, but not much.

I’ve never felt that before. Am I getting closer to what matters, or merely becoming alienated?

7 comments:

Shayna said...

Lyrical post, Jeff. I think that "what matters" has always lived inside you.

Róisín said...

I can just imagine the very same thing happening a century or so ago, just replace the jeep with a horse-drawn coach in a hurry to get somewhere. Like something from one of the gothic classics.

JJ said...

Roisin! Where ya bin? I missed you. I spent my mid to late teens engrossed in all things gothic, but this 4x4 wasn't headed for anywhere other than some modernised, extended, jacuzzi-installed, professional person's pad somewhere. That's modern, rural England. But at least my bats are friendly.

Róisín said...

Sorry JJ, I've been a bad blogger recently. Just been doing lots of random 'stuff' and by the time I get to my computer in the evening I'm too drained to bother with anything. But I have been lurking about!

Anyway, I know rural modern England (I've plenty of family scattered about it) and you can take it from me- modern rural Ireland is so, so much worse. At least such a thing as a green belt exists in your country. And your houses at least have some asthetic value to them. Here we just have monsterous white boxes obliterating the landscape, and if not that then the odd random housing estate thrown up in the middle of nowhere which they then try to call a 'village'. Half of which are lying empty now, I might add. Seriously, don't get me started on the state of this country!

JJ said...

No 'sorries,' please. I do realise there's more to life than blogging.

Oddly, my one complaint when I went to Donegal was that I couldn't understand how such a beautiful landscape could be littered with new bungalows every 400 yards. Although I also have to say that our green belt isn't always as sacrosanct as it's supposed to be. Councillors aren't averse to 'interpreting' the regulations when there's a backhander on offer.

Maria Sondule said...

Have you read Walden?
Yeah, I hate when I'm enjoying nature and suddenly something comes along to ruin the peaceful moment and remind me that humans have infiltrated every part of the world.

JJ said...

Walden? Who's Walden?