Tuesday 25 May 2010

Strawberries and Clouds.

Today’s big news: I picked my first strawberry from the new plants in my greenhouse. That’s the first home-grown strawberry I’ve ever had. It was big.

I also saw something odd tonight.

Late this afternoon there were long, billowing ribbons of cloud stretching from the western sky all the way over to the eastern one. They were a mix of smoke-grey and white, like something belched out of hellish fires somewhere over the horizon. Except that the white fringes at the western end were not white at all, but pale yellow from the rays of the sinking sun.

I went out later and the scene had changed. The light-fringed clouds were still there over my head and to my right, and they were moving west-east. But another set of pure grey clouds occupied the other half of the sky, and they were moving in the opposite direction. They passed each other, like traffic on a dual carriageway. I suppose they must have been at different altitudes.

Later still, and the clouds had settled again into a uniform movement. The fringes of the western clouds had gone, however, and been replaced by an under-painting of salmon pink, as though they were sitting in some bath of coloured liquid.

It’s bed time. No clouds now, just a nearly full moon in the southern sky.

4 comments:

Shayna said...

Sounds to be mysterious and beautiful phases of your sky today. Congratulations on your first strawberry. That's terrific, Jeff! When my daughter was tiny and I was pushing her in a grocery cart she asked me if I would buy her strawberries ... I said not today, they're not in season. She became horribly sad and said, "then I won't be in strawberry heaven." (I got her the strawberries.)

Victoria said...

What a beautiful word picture you painted, JJ. I could see those clouds clearly, thanks to your words.

You didn't say how the strawberry tasted. Was it delicious?

Ruthie Redden said...

Hi there, ooh im envious of your 1st strawberry, im hoping for a first there too this year, never having grown them before!

Are you a cloud watcher then? wonderful things they are for folks with imagination lol

thought of you yesterday, for we found a tiny bat. it was flitting around our family room though, poor wee thing. we rescued him at once, must have come down the chimmney!

JJ said...

Shay: Ah, poor little lady. I'll bet women aren't as easily manipulated by litle girls as dopey men like me are. You've been there, haven't you? Still, glad you got her the strawberries.

Victoria: Let you into a secret. I was lightly sozzled when I wrote that. I'm surprised any two words were in the right order! The facts are true, though. I was having great difficulty writing a dream sequence in a story once, so I decided to try writing it after a couple of scotches. It worked. The sacrifices we make for our art!! Haven't eaten the strawberry yet. I pulled it when there was still a little white around the stalk. It's sitting on a sunny windowsill at the moment, looking big and beautiful.

Ruthie: So nice to see you back. My worry with the strawberries is that I get both birds and rodents in the greenhouse, so I'm wondering just how much they're going to leave me to eat. Always been a cloud watcher - especially in the western sky. They make me think of sailing ships and freedom. I take it you read my post about the bat and the Dracula film.