Thursday 6 May 2010

Oh, Well...

I’ve gone on in several previous posts about the priorities of the publishing industry and the problem with being a non commercially-minded writer. The experience continues.

I’ve had lots of dealings with publishers – mainstream ones as a photographer and small press ones as a writer – but I’ve never had any experience of literary agents before. I doubt I ever shall.

You know I’ve written a novel, right? And although I consider the writing itself to be the pinnacle of success for a writer, it would be nice to have it published. It takes quite a while to write a novel, and almost as long again to edit it several times until it’s how you want it. Having done that, it isn’t unnatural to want to communicate the whole thing to other people. Furthermore, there doesn’t seem a lot of point in placing it with the small press, where it will sit quietly in the corner of a website somewhere like a shy little puppy in an animal sanctuary. It wants to be on view, on a bookshelf, in a shop. But that means getting the mainstream publishers interested, and mainstream publishers don’t deal with first novels any more. They rely on agents to do that for them. The agents are the gatekeepers; and if you want to get published, the gatekeeper has to unlock the gate. And that’s where the problem lies.

I’ve spent ages this last two or three weeks trawling through the Literary Agents section of Preditors and Editors. They seem to be entirely consumed with the notion of literature as a commodity, rather than a creative resource. They tell you that when you start to plot a book, you need to very sure of the market at which it is aimed. I’ve never plotted anything in my life, and I’ve never aimed anything I’ve written at a market. I’m not that way inclined – never have been and never shall be. I write what wants to be written, and I write it as well as I can. That doesn’t count; it isn’t professional. Or, to put it another way, it isn’t the system by which commodities are produced. And they go on to tell you that you must be prepared to work with them to make the book ‘more marketable.’ Not more accomplished, you understand – more ‘marketable.’ That’s the name of the game. I quote: ‘Writing a book is the easy bit, it’s the selling of it to a publisher that’s difficult.’ In other words, it’s the literary agent who tolls the knell that summons thee to heaven or to hell. Oh, I forgot one. They also tell you how committed they are to advancing your career as an author. But suppose I don’t want to be a career author, which I don’t. Suppose I just have a book that I happen to think highly of and want published. Sorry. That’s not how we make our money.

So I have a problem. I don’t see how I could ever get on with a literary agent. We come from different planets; we speak different languages; we have a totally different understanding of life, to the extent that we are maybe even in diametrical opposition. But without them, my story about a journey will have to remain only my journey.

I just had another lettuce sandwich to cheer myself up.

9 comments:

Shayna said...

When I was a girl the neighbor kids and I took turns making a treat to eat ... one day I made mustard sandwiches for everyone (it was a favorite of mine back then ~.~) - and all the kids threw them away in the bushes. Your lettuce sandwich reminded me of that. Or perhaps you were alluding to not being wealthy of dollars? Ah, Jeff ... in my own way I understand the things you say here ... people wanting to put others in a box, control their creativity, tell us that it is in our best interests monetarily if we give way and conform to something outside of our 'vision', our truth ... a tragedy in its own way. Trying to stifle art. You know your path ... and indeed it is a beautiful one filled with all of the words and stories that you make sing - to the delight of those who 'see' the beauty that you create. !!!

Anonymous said...

Boy, do I hear you Jeff. I've recently begun my search for a literary agent and a bitter process it is. I've also made the BIG mistake of following too many agents' and editors' blogs and came across advice similar to what you've outlined here. "Do this, don't do this, but of course do something genius that will make us all a lot of money." I took it to heart and then threw it all away. I suppose they have to believe there are systems and methods to what works, but I think being true to your heart and subject (and a decent writer which you are), will always take the public – and the publishers and their gatekeepers too – by surprise.

Carmen said...

What a preposterous idea! Writing a book so that it is more marketable. Gee.

JJ said...

Wow. Thanks, Shay. The lettuce sandwich referred to the earlier post. And they're good for not making you fat when you fancy a snack. Mustard sandwiches! How delightfully nutty you were... are... whatever.

Della. Glad somebody else sees it this way, too. Did you see an earlier post where I quoted dear Mrs Thatcher (spit) saying 'There is no such thing as good and bad literature. There are books that sell, and books that don't?'

Carmen, dear. Seriously?

Maria Sondule said...

No harm in trying, eh?
I think it's amazing that you've written a novel! And with a plausible chance of getting it published?? The rest of us can only dream of such wonders.
No matter what happens, you're waaay ahead of the game. :)

lucy said...

Yeah, the world's like that now. It's selfish in that way. I don't mean to say that every publisher/agent is like that, but the majority of them are. That's the way they were taught in publishing/marketing/business school: money comes first, then probably success.

But what's the harm in trying, like Maria said? Why don't you try and find an agent that will review your work and one who appreciates what you write? I think business has a lot to do with compromising. You'll have to give in to some of your agent's views, but you also have to know when to stay strong and not give in to others and not do exactly as they say. So if they say write things that appeal to everyone but not you, that's when you'll have to put your foot down and say stuff you, I'm outta here.

Good luck Jeff :)

Jfromtheblock said...

that's going to make my life a lot harder.

I suppose we could always go and become publishers and editors too on top of writing :D

Anonymous said...

No, I hadn't seen that post Jeff, but have looked at it now. Thatcher's attitude is stronger than ever in the publishing world it seems, but that's our world I guess. I discover now that you've published numerous short stories – has there been any feedback there? I see you've had lots of dealings with the publishing world, going back to your photography days so feel a bit sheepish that I'm losing heart so early in the game. But I guess it's always better not to be too naive...or is it?

JJ said...

Good heavens, ladies! Thank you for your interest. I'm honoured.

Maria: Not so amazing. I had the sense that I was being offered a journey, so I took it. The novel is just the journal. And because it's episodic, it was really like writing a succession of short stories all featuring the same characters. It kept me out of mischief for a few months. (As if!)

Lucy: Bless you. If only I had a penny for every time I've said 'Stuff you, I'm outa here...' I've already withdrawn my other longer work from three publishing acceptances because they were trying to make me cross lines I wasn't prepared to cross. The lines have to be drawn carefully, because it's too easy to become too dogmatic. But you're still left with the decision as to what's most important: being published or being true to yourself.

Jen: New picture! Some of the small press publishers are there for just that reason. They're often writers themselves who want to provide an outlet for more progressive, creative and/or less obviously 'commercial' writing. But they generally only publish short stories. The small press novel publishers mostly try to ape the mainstream, so you're back to a small scale version of the same thing.

Hi Della: I think the definition of 'naive' depends on which side of the fence you are. I've been called naive and 'difficult' (though never a 'prima donna' yet. One day, maybe - could do with a good laugh.) For me, it isn't about that. It's about knowing why I write, and where I strike the balance between writing for its own sake and writing for others' consumption. What would be the point of having something published if it compromised too much on what it was about? Having said all which, I'm sure there are agents and publishers out there who have a broader view of things than just "it don't count 'less it sells." There must be, since some thoughtful literature continuse to appear. I suppose it's a matter of how long you spend trying to find one.