Tuesday 25 May 2010

Legs and Low Whistles.

I watched the TV news tonight. Why did I do that? You’d think I’d have learned my lesson by now. Every item I saw contained something that reminded me yet again of the greed, selfishness and petty preoccupations inherent in the mindset and value perceptions of the ‘developed world.’ I switched it off after half an hour, but I was already sunk in depression by then and couldn’t shake it off.

I had an idea. I decided to watch Riverdance again – the original version staged in Dublin in 1995. It proved to be the cure I hoped it would be. Just the first seven minutes of that video are sublime. First, a haunting slow air played on the low whistle by the incomparable Davy Spillane; and then the colleens chorus take the stage. Oh my giddy aunt! Short green dresses and black-clad legs flashing hither and thither, hitting the floor and high-stepping in time to a driving, rhythmical beat. Send the lap and pole dancers to the back of the queue; those Irish girls are sexiness personified. So then we move on. Fast forward through Mr Prize Pillock Michael Flatley’s ego-ridden solo (please don’t tell me he’s a good dancer. I know,) and then Anuna take centre stage with their atmospheric, slightly dissonant harmonies. More beautiful women. Am I feeling better by now? Yup. The piece de resistance finally arrives: six young girls perform a gentle jig before Jean Butler makes her entrance. Jean Butler is the closest I’ve ever come to a definition of the perfect woman. Emotional explosion. Never fails.

I felt better, immeasurably better. Thank you Ireland. Erin gra mo chroi.

2 comments:

KMcCafferty said...

My dad's family used to see the Flatleys about everywhere when they would do the feis circuit back in the day. I believe the Flatleys stayed with them a few times, especially when they'd come into town for the Cleveland Feis.

We always talk about how my uncle and my dad both out-danced him in competitions numerous times. It's their little claim to fame.

We went and saw Michael Flatley's Lord Of The Dance when I was little and first started the dancing. Now my cousin tours with their current group dancing around the world! Apparently we McCaffertys have good dancing genes.

JJ said...

Wow, McC, you just went even higher in my estimation. I love Irish dance. Good on yer da, too.

I'm not denying that MF isn't a very talented bloke, I just wish he'd operate on the basis of 'look at this' rather than 'look at ME.'