Monday 10 May 2010

Nature Diary.

The Cute:

I have a blue tit’s nest outside my kitchen window. I saw one of the little guys sitting on the nearby hedge this morning, with something that looked like a small caterpillar in his beak. I wondered why he wasn’t eating it, or taking it into the nest. Then his mate flew out of the box, joined him in the hedge, and fluttered her wings. He gave her the caterpillar. She returned to the nest; he flew away, presumably to fetch another one. It’s at such times that I realise the limits of my cynicism.

The Dramatic:

On the other side of the house, I have a bird feeding table outside my living room window. Two days ago I saw a hen pheasant fly onto it and begin feeding. An unfamiliar cock bird flew down, knocked the hen to the ground, and began having his way with her. There was an immediate flurry of activity as the hen’s mate ran up the lawn and attacked the intruder. A brief fight ensued before the bad guy took flight. Today, I noticed that Boss Cock has a limp. Must be tough for the men folk at this time of year.

The Spectacular:

I saw my first two swallows of the summer today. They were hunting insects at low level over my garden. There’s nothing to touch them for aerial mastery. Size for size, nothing that Lockheed or BAe could build would come close. The swallow is probably my favourite bird – except for my friendly robin who follows me around the garden wanting a private little pile of rolled oats.

The Hazardous:

Something is eating my raspberry plant, the one that’s taken three years to get going! I suspect the culprit is a young rabbit that’s taken to hanging around in my garden. I love rabbits to bits, and there’s no way I would harm him. It’s a joy to see him skipping around and trying to peer under the greenhouse door (which is exactly what Rabbit does at one point in my novel – who says life doesn’t imitate art?) At the same time, I was getting excited at the prospect of having fresh raspberries this year, and I tend to develop some fondness towards my plants, too. I decided that the best solution would be to move the plant into the greenhouse. It was a trickier operation than you might think, because plants often don’t take kindly to being moved. I made sure I dug well down to keep the roots in the original soil, and then struggled to get this damn great weight on two spades up the lawn and into the greenhouse. I spoke nicely to her through the whole thing. I explained the benefits of being moved, like not getting eaten and being warmer, for example. I hope she agreed. Time will tell.

Other news:

I might have an announcement to make soon about a second blog. I’m still mulling it over. Watch this space.

11 comments:

Shayna said...

Jeff ! This is a splendid report, I must say. Your birds are fortunate to have you as their comrade. I forget if I told you that the other day I watched a sparrow flying hard to keep pace with a huge crow. The sparrow landed on the crow's back, presumably to attack as I was told that she was trying to protect her nestlings. Do you think our birds know we talk about them? A second blog, eh? Will await further details.

JJ said...

Don't know, Shay, but I've become convinced that birds are a hell of a lot brighter than people think they are.

The second blog idea stems from the fact that several people have asked whether I've considered putting stories up. I realise that I could put some up there - those that already have first rights taken, and aren't in extant publications. I just don't want to be seen to be pushing them. I hate self-promotion.

ArtSparker said...

You might like a film that's one of Shayna's favorites, Fox and and Child. Heh-as she knows, I went to her profile and wrote down a bunch of them.

pnorthluskin said...

I love this entry. Wonderful. And the Khalil Gibran quote - brilliant. Thank you for both.

Shayna said...

I agree with Susan about 'The Fox and the Child' ~.~*

JJ said...

Susan: The Fox and the Child sounds like my sort of film. Will look out for it. Have you changed your name, by the way? I could have sworn it was Stanford.

Paige: Lovely to see you. I was actually thinking of Khalil Gibran as I read your post about your incredible mother.

ArtSparker said...

It's not polite to swear.

Has always been Sanford, really.

lucy said...

wow, you really like birds dont you, jeff! they are beautiful, someof them, although i must admit, pigeons scare the crap out of me!

i like the first report. that was cute :)

JJ said...

Susan, Sue, Susie baby...

Now I'm doing Monty Python again. Sorry, no offence meant. Must be my ageing eyesight.

Lucy: I've been a bit interested in birds since my days as a photographer, but it was largely academic until I moved here four years ago. Now I juts love 'em. I'm sure the reason you like the first one is because it suits your nature. It's why I follow your blog. If pigeons frighten you, suggest you confront the fear and make friends with them.

Wendy said...

You're attracting all this chaos, Jeffrey I wish you had a camera for all the scenes. I think Peter Rabbit is munching on your raspberry plants, can't say that I blame him, but it is frustrating for plants and flowers to be taken away before you've enjoyed them.

I LOVE the new header of the tree you have. So magickal and beautiful. Really interested in hearing what your new blog will be...

JJ said...

Hello Wendy. Nice to see you. The new blog is causing even more chaos. Maybe I'll get it sorted in a day or two. I'm planning to post some 'permissable' stories. I'll make a post about it when it's ready. Right now, I'm fed up with it and I'm going to feed the birds. Much more sensible.