Saturday 1 May 2010

Three Women.

For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated by the power of the ‘three women’ motif. I used it in a story: three beggar girls on a Dublin bridge, three women in a library, the triple-form banshee who needs a favour from her human charge, and the three Queens of Arthurian legend. It’s one of my favourites, which perhaps explains why it hasn’t been published yet (although it’s also too long for most small press publishers.)


It refers to the painting above - La Mort D’Arthur by James G Archer. When I first saw this picture I recognised the woman with the book, the King, and the scene. It resonated strongly with me, as though I were reviewing a scene from some point on my own cycle of life, death and rebirth. The story also quotes a short passage from Mallory’s Le Morte D’Arthur. This resonates with me too, although I have yet to work out why.

Now put me into the barge, said the King. And so he did softly; and there received him three queens with great mourning; and so they set them down and in one of their laps King Arthur laid his head. And so then they rowed from the land, and Sir Bedivere beheld all these ladies go from him. Comfort thyself, said the king...for I will into the Vale of Avalon to heal me of my grievous wound: and if thou hear never more of me, pray for my soul.

2 comments:

Jfromtheblock said...

I love the Arthurian legend <3 Must read this one day along with Tennyson's Idylls of the King

JJ said...

You've convinced me. Idylls of the King has been on my wanted list for so long. This year!