Wednesday 4 October 2017

The Wrong Sort of Horror.

I watched the start of a Japanese horror film (which shall be nameless) last night. It appears to tell the story of two young women who accidentally take a wrong turn and end up in a mysterious village buried deep in the mountains, there to be hounded by a torch-bearing mob, strung up on a suspended apparatus, and have one of their legs cut off while the mob cheers.

Will I be watching the rest of it? Are you kidding? When violence is germane to a deeper plot it’s acceptable, but when extreme violence is the plot it becomes merely sordid. I might be strange, but I’m not that sort of strange. I assume those who watch such films also take pleasure in pulling the wings off butterflies, or maybe they content themselves with watching others do it.

And maybe somebody somewhere will tell me that I’m missing the deeper plot by not watching it through. I’ll take the risk.

No comments: