Sunday 1 October 2017

On Being Talked About.

I’ve occasionally been intrigued by the old adage never speak ill of the dead.

I wonder why people say that. Could it have something to do with an instinctive feeling that thought is energy which can be picked up on the other side and trouble the subject? Could it be the fear that the subject will haunt them by way of revenge for the slight? I don’t know, but a little snippet of script occurred to me.

‘What was he like?’

‘He was different, you know?’

‘In what way?’

‘Hard to say; just different. People generally steered a bit clear of him. Always the way with people who are different, isn’t it?’

‘Suppose so. Was he married?’

‘Nope.’

‘Close friends?’

‘Nope.’

‘You make him sound unwanted and unloved.’

‘Oh, he was wanted often enough. He had a few skills. But loved? Doubt it. He wasn’t the lovable sort.’

‘Poor bloke.’

‘He didn’t seem to mind too much.’

I think I’d be quite chuffed if somebody said that about me. I might even haunt them to say ‘thank you.’

No comments: