Wednesday 18 October 2017

Rambling About Non-Existence.

I was thinking today about how deep you can go when musing on the concept of colour, but it’s a simple truism to say that colour doesn’t exist except as a concept. A combination of electro-magnetic wavelengths being reflected from an object enters the eye and then proceeds by way of an electrical signal to the brain which informs that abstract thing called perception that here is a phenomenon which the receptor has been conditioned through instruction to call ‘red.’ There’s actually no such thing as red. It’s all a matter of reflection and perception, sub atomic particles and wavelengths. The universe is colourless except in our minds, and while the brain is constructed of atoms (which are also just bundles of energy) the mind is an abstract thing.

It’s the same with money. Money doesn’t exist either except as a concept. It’s just an abstract mechanism manipulated to function through confidence and consensus. You have no money in your bank account; you just think you do because the system of exchange is designed to operate through your belief that it is so. Ergo, there is also no such thing as a bank account in an objective sense. But as long as we perceive it in a quantitative sense, it works.

Pain is another one. It's all in the mind, and the mind isn't something you can put in a box.

All of which appears to vindicate my assertion that perception is the whole of the life experience, and that the fundamental nature of being is abstract.

So why do I suddenly feel constrained to say this when a thousand philosophers and holy men have said it better since time immemorial? I don’t know. I suppose I’m still trying to work out who the hell I am, who the hell you are, and what the hell we’re doing here. That’s if we really are here, of course.

Oh for a cup of coffee with the Lady B's erstwhile host. I need something to make sense and keep me sane. (Did I say 'keep'?)

No comments: