Saturday 12 August 2017

A Beetle in Distress.

When I went upstairs to take a leak a few minutes ago there was a strange-looking beetle struggling on one of the stair treads. There he was on his back, legs akimbo and flailing about in all directions.

It struck me that he’d probably fallen off one tread and landed upside down on the one below, and that even if he was able to right himself he’d probably keep on doing it. So what was I supposed to do about that? Sit with him all night and keep turning him over every time he landed on his back?

I brought him downstairs instead and put him on the carpet where the floor is flat, and then told him to be careful. All I have to do now is make sure I don’t tread on him when I go to bed. Damsels in distress I can handle, but beetles are a different kettle of fish.

No comments: