Sunday 2 November 2014

Ysobel: Dead and Varied.

I knew an actress back in the day called Ysobel something-or-other. I asked her once:

‘Are you named after Isabel Fitton?’

‘I am, yes,’ she replied with a look of unrestrained admiration (or so it appeared to my ego at the time – I had a life back then.) ‘How did you know that?’

‘The spelling.’

‘Ah, of course. Yes, my dad was a big fan of Elgar.’

Isabel Fitton, you see, was a viola pupil of Elgar’s, and one of the inspirations for the pieces that make up his Enigma Variations. Only for some reason, he changed the spelling in the title of the piece to ‘Ysobel.’ (Don’t ask me why. Maybe he was in the mood for varying everything.) Anyway…

Shortly afterwards, Ysobel got a starring role in an episode of a popular TV cop drama. She played a pale and diffident young woman with acne who gets murdered by her abusive boyfriend. It was odd seeing somebody I knew getting murdered, and I never did find out whether the acne was real or placed there by a make up artist.

And I’m not entirely sure why I’m making this post – doesn’t have much substance, does it? Put it down to a whim, and maybe the fact that I’m growing tired of being chained to the basement floor.

No comments: