Monday 10 November 2014

On Sirens and Syllables.

Think Herod and Salome, or Uther and Igraine. What is it about a skilful woman dancer that’s capable of sending a normally healthy male mind into a state of temporary insanity? I haven’t worked that one out yet, which is a little inconvenient because Manpreet comes close to doing the same to mine. (Especially when I'm glum, for some reason.) Manpreet is the taller of the two wearing orange frocks in the following clip. She’s an Indian American, which isn’t the same thing as an American Indian. Don’t we make life complicated for ourselves with our insistence on categories?

 
And there’s a little matter of pronunciation to be considered. I noticed early in life that Americans place the emphasis on the first syllable in the name Salome, whereas we Brits usually place it on the second. In this instance, I prefer the American convention. Sounds more exotic, I suppose.

Contrariwise, I have the opposite view on Samuel Beckett’s non-existent hero, Godot. I gather Americans stress the second syllable, while we stress the first. In a rare showing of Anglo-Irish accord, Mr Beckett – who was neither American nor British – said that we Brits have got it right. Good.  

No comments: