Friday 21 November 2014

Bottles and Hobgoblins.

Somebody for whom I did a little work back in the summer gave me a bottle today in recompense. (No, no, not an empty one. Read on.)

He said he’d tried to get me a bottle of sake (not to be confused with HH Munro who spelt it differently) while he was in Japan, but was told that Customs wouldn’t let it through. He said this was further proof that the Japanese are a pretty weird bunch.

‘We spent one night at a turtle sanctuary,’ he continued…

‘A what sanctuary?’

‘Turtle.’

‘Oh.’

'Anyway, can you believe it had communal showers?'

‘What, you mean men and women together?’

‘Well, no… just men, but when I went to the toilet I thought “smells a bit fruity in here” (fruity?) and there were all these Swedish girls in there with towels wrapped around them’

Personally, I find that more than a little disturbing, but I’m probably even weirder than a Japanese Customs official.

So, having failed with the sake, he got me a bottle of Johnnie Walker Explorers Club Collection scotch instead. Maybe I’ll report on it in due course.

In the meantime, tonight’s delight was a bottle of Hobgoblin Ale by Wychwood Breweries. It’s a strong (5.6 ABV) dark ale that tastes of liquorice (and beer) and comes highly recommended (by me.)

*  *  *

According to Wiki, a hobgoblin is a mischievous but friendly creature who does your ironing for you while you’re asleep. They like to be given food, apparently, but if you give them clothing they take the hump and desert you forever.

It all sounds pretty weird to me. I wonder what they think of towels.

No comments: