Monday 17 November 2014

Bad Stars Day.

I spent one and a half hours this morning dealing with a Bureaucratic Matter. My desk and part of the floor in my office were soon buried under files and papers, and the phone calls were becoming expensive. Ever since my brain switched its focus from left to right, I don’t deal with bureaucratic matters half so easily as I used to, and this morning’s episode was particularly torturous. By the end of it my head ached and I felt uncomfortably disassociated from many of my essential faculties. I’d go so far as to say that I felt slightly ill, probably because I’ve re-engaged with the unfortunate habit of getting only five hours sleep a night. And all to do with the fact that I shall soon be even worse off financially than I am at present…

I pushed it away and made some lunch. The lunch was fine, right up until a tooth broke – just a small piece off one of the molars at the back, but it’s left a jagged-edged hole which might be small to the eye but feels gigantic to the tongue. My next dental appointment is in two months, and my dentist is so busy that seeing her any earlier stands not within the prospect of belief. Fortunately, it doesn’t hurt much. Yet.

I pushed that away, too, and made my way into Farmer Stan’s field, there to finish a small trimming job which needed doing from the other side of the hedge. It was high work, and a large piece of trimming fell to earth but landed in my right eye en route. The eye is still sore and prone to watering, but I expect it will be OK by tomorrow.

The piece-de-resistance came this evening when I was made privy to an item of intelligence which brought me up short – you know, one of those moments when you just stop and say ‘Oh…’ Much musing ensued and much reflection was observed, until magnanimity carried the day. All I’ll say on that issue is that I hope my brightest star has found a home worthy of its radiance. I do, earnestly.

But I still have the headache from this morning.

No comments: