Saturday 22 November 2014

Notes on Beverages and Rileys.

1. I love cold milk as long as it’s well chilled. Once it gets close to room temperature or above, it revolts me.

2. There was a time when I made my own blend of tea. It consisted of five parts Assam, two parts Earl Grey, and one part Lapsang Souchong. Wasn’t that terribly urbane of me? I went downhill rapidly after that.

3. I can declare that the best coffee I ever tasted was Taylor’s Premium Blend. When I lived in Northumberland it was a weekly treat to drive seven miles up the coast to a coffee shop in Warkworth which served that very brew. My budget doesn’t permit such a regular luxury these days.

4. Contrary to its reputation, coffee makes me sleepy. Alcohol, on the other hand, puts me on a rollercoaster. First it wakes me up, and then it plunges me into a narcoleptic state in which I’m prone to falling asleep without even realising I’m tired. When I was in my twenties, driving at night had the same effect.

5. Gin is supposed to make people maudlin, but it has the opposite effect on me. Everything is uproariously funny after a couple of gins. You could recite the Lord’s Prayer and I’d be doubled up laughing. (Come to think of it…)

6. I love the taste of bourbon, but even a couple of small shots makes me sick to my stomach and gives me a headache. In contrast, it takes quite a lot of scotch to have any noticeable effect at all.

7. I knew a man once who used to make a bit of extra cash taking bets that he could drink twenty pints of beer in twenty minutes. He could, too. He used to have aides keeping the route to the toilets free so he could rush off and vomit the whole lot back when he’d won. His name was Riley, which is a bit of a coincidence since he was a big man with a stomach the size of a small car. (When I was in my early twenties I knew a young woman who drove an old Riley Elf. She was a typist where I worked and was in the habit of giving me come hither looks. She was pretty and smelt nice, but I didn’t like her legs so I remained hence. I did have the occasional ride in her Riley, though.)

Stopping on 7. I like sevens.

No comments: