Monday 3 November 2014

Perfect and Imperfect Timing.

September and October were unusually warm in Britain this year. Halloween even broke the all time record when a temperature of 23.6°C was recorded somewhere in the South East (that’s 74.5F for the DYs.)

‘I bet it will cool down for Bonfire Night,’ said Mel. ‘It’s always cold on Bonfire Night.’

Sure enough, it has cooled down a lot, and the BBC weather forecast for the week gives the first frost of the autumn on Wednesday night – Bonfire Night – after which it should turn milder again. I wonder how it knows.

*  *  *

Today’s little mystery was the finding of a Shield Bug crawling down a wall in my office this afternoon. The last time I saw a Shield Bug was during the hot, dry summer of 2006, when there were several of them apparently enjoying the parched conditions in the garden. What this one was doing in my office on a cool day in November I have no idea.

He was a handsome little chap, black and sage green on the back with pale green underparts, and was quite happy wandering around my hand for a while. I named him Harry, because that’s what he looked like, and then returned him to the wild to search for whatever Shield Bugs eat.

And I seem to be dredging the bottom of that old barrel again.

No comments: