Thursday 9 January 2014

TV Ads: the Next Generation.

I hardly ever watch the TV, and the odd programme I do pick up is usually on the BBC. Consequently, I rarely see TV ads.

Tonight I watched something on a freeview channel, and it had adverts. Being inclined towards curiosity, even at the expense of embracing masochism, I watched them just for the experience of marvelling at the extent to which civilised society has completely lost the plot.

Well. Ahem. From what I remember of TV ads, they used to be all about Fairy Liquid and Timex watches. Not any more. Now there’s one for some preparation to bring relief to ladies with itchy parts. It even featured a cartoon in which a lady so afflicted appeared to be desperately in need of the toilet. Explicit stuff indeed.

There was a time when such an advert would have scandalised the nation and raised questions in the House. Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells would have been blowing gaskets until the air was heavy with thunderclaps and the rolling hills of this Seat of Mars running with the boiling bile of righteous indignation.

Oh, how standards have fallen. And all for the sake of having a laugh.

No comments: