Wednesday 1 January 2014

A New Year's Discovery.

2013 was spent walking in a deep, dark wood. I’m no stranger to such an environment, but last year the path that usually leads out the other side kept going around in circles. At midnight on the last day of December there was still no light to be seen anywhere.

And then, in the early hours of the morning, I found this video:

 
The first part is a rather moving collage of clips from an evident project involving dance and the disabled. That was nice, but it was essentially human in aspect. But then it suddenly shifted into the Dance of a Thousand Arms, and that wasn’t essentially human at all. It was transcendental. It seemed to say: ‘Here is a fragment of the light you seek, a fragment of beauty’s essence, a fragment of what matters.’

Fragment? It was huge. It threatened to arrest my breathing, and left me feeling weak and shaken.

Of course, I don’t expect anybody else to be so affected. I don’t even expect anybody else to watch it, for we all have our own personal road to walk and, presumably, our own personal fragment of god to find if we feel inclined to look. But maybe I just got a glimpse of mine. Maybe. 

Interestingly, I have a large, carved wood statuette of Kuanyin in my bathroom.

Still walking.

No comments: