Friday 24 January 2014

Real Ladies.

That’s what it said:

Real ladies don’t buy fakes.

It was an ad for expensive wardrobe fitments. Don’t you just despair of western-style culture sometimes?

*  *  *

I’ve been trying to find the right words to make a post about the nature of the sacred. It would have meant treading a fine line if it was to avoid the potential for major misapprehension. I couldn’t find them, but I did realise something about myself in making the attempt:

I’ve always been able to face pain, and I’ve always been able to face terror. What I sometimes find impossible to face is horror, and I find horror in places which leave most people floundering for an explanation. Profaning what I hold to be sacred is one of them, and that isn’t as straightforward as it sounds, either. It’s why I didn’t make the post.

No comments: