Saturday 11 January 2014

The Annual Will.

Just lately I’m coming increasingly to the conviction that nothing I have to say could be of the remotest interest to anybody else. That’s probably a pretty fair assumption. But then, most of what most people have to say is of very little interest to anybody else. The difference is that most people don’t have a blog to maintain.

So, what should I stick on this blog after two days of silence?

Well, a year ago I posted a clip from one of my favourite Will Hay films, Ask a Policeman. I offered the view that those old, character-driven films have a charm that’s entirely lacking in modern cinema, and I still hold to the opinion. Accordingly, I thought I’d post another short clip from my other favourite Will Hay film, Oh, Mr Porter. It’s set in remotest Ireland, and tells the story of how One-Eyed Joe got murdered by the railway, and how his ghost now ‘haunts the station, haunts the hill and the land that lies between.’ It’s a lot more interesting than anything I have to say.

Meanwhile, I’m back off to YouTube to feed my continuing preoccupation with mountains, priestesses and all things Chinese.

No comments: