Monday 27 January 2014

Life and Light.

'Light’ has to be the operative word for this one.

I bumped into an old flame today. By ‘old flame’ I don’t mean ‘ex lover’ which is the way the expression is usually used, but someone who once brought a lot of light into my life. I thought it was extinguished, but instead discovered that it’s richer and brighter than I ever knew it to be. She re-acquainted me with the novel Siddhartha, which I now know I should read again. But here’s today’s question:

Achieving enlightenment through the totality of experience gained through many lifetimes has to be a laudable pursuit, right? But it still raises the question ‘what then?’ Or, to put it another way, ‘what’s the point?’

Maybe you get to know that when you get there. But that implies embracing faith, and I’m not sure I believe in faith.

Well, maybe it doesn’t matter whether I believe in it or not. Maybe it just happens. And let’s face it, you have to spend your lives doing something, don’t you? Why not spend them seeking the totality of experience until you get enlightened? Which brings me back to where I’m at already, and reminds me of Harbottle’s famous line ‘The next train’s gone.’ It’s here if you’re interested:

No comments: