Wednesday 19 June 2013

Three Rare Ashbourne Notes.

I had an appointment with a physiotherapist today, to see what he could offer by way of an opinion on my knee problem. First he listened to my account of its history from 1987-present, then he pushed it, pulled it, pressed it, twisted it, flexed it, and watched me walk up and down the room (minus my jeans, heaven forbid, but I don’t think he was gay or anything.) After half an hour he delivered his verdict: ‘You have a good knee.’ His considered opinion was that I have a condition typical of people in mid life who were sporty in their younger days. The knee cap and the grove in which it moves get worn, then a little osteo-arthritis can set in and flare up occasionally. His advice was ‘Keep it exercised, keep it warm, keep the quads (thigh muscles) strong, and you’re unlikely to need a new knee for decades yet. Oh, and avoid stress because there’s a strong correlation between stress and pain.’ Yeah, right.

*  *  *

Somebody has cleaned up most of the cigarette butts in lower Market Place. Maybe they read my blog.

*  *  *

The woman who runs one of the charity shops found me a nearly new lightweight sweater for summer wear, priced at only £2.50. It was just about what I’ve been looking for over the past couple of months, and I congratulated her. ‘You should have got a woman to help you look,’ she said. Well now, maybe I should. I like her. She has a warm, open smile that carries just a hint of potential mischief.

No comments: