Tuesday 25 June 2013

Bird Skills.

It’s only since I moved to this house that I’ve developed my well documented fascination with birds.

I was walking back along Church Lane this evening when I came upon a group of swallows and martins hunting along the lane and over the fields. They looked like they were engaged in Top Gun-style aerial combat, only better. The swallow, in particular, is such a fast and agile flyer; I’ve heard it said that the merlin is the only bird capable of catching a swallow in flight. And I got treated to the same experience I described in a post last summer – turning round to see a swallow heading for my face at breakneck speed, only to swerve away at the last minute. It’s an exhilarating experience.

But then I heard a captivating sound. A solitary blackbird was sitting high in the branches of my favourite ash tree, singing his little heart out. I do believe that there is no creature on earth capable of such a wide and fascinating range of vocal expression than the blackbird and other members of the thrush family. The humpback whale might come close, but even that takes second place in my opinion.

And so I stood and listened for a good ten minutes. Neither of us moved while the swallows and martins continued to swoop, swerve, dive, and miss my cheekbone by inches. I swear that the blackbird never repeated a single note or phrase, such was his skill in variation. I said ‘thank you,’ and went home.

No comments: