Tuesday 25 June 2013

On Old Posts and Warring Parties.

Sometimes I’m intrigued when Blogger stats tell me that some old post of mine has been selected for reading by somebody from Latvia, or Russia, or Indonesia. I wonder why a person from such an exotic location would bother, so I click on the link and read what it said.

It’s quite an illuminating experience, because it reminds you of who you were back then. It’s like looking back over an old journal, complete with words, pictures, and pressed flowers. (Erm… Forget the pressed flowers. Let’s go for beer stains instead.) And some of the posts are really quite good – far better in many instances than most of the rubbish I write these days.

What’s especially nice, though, is to read some of the comments made by people I’d come to regard as friends, but who have now exited my cyber life a-shriekin’ and a-howlin’. Or maybe they just got on with the business of getting a real life.

There was one post I made about discovering YouTube. Carmen from Sydney said ‘CONGRATULATIONS!’ and I replied ‘You didn’t snigger?’ and she came back with ‘Nah, I just smiled.’ There is, of course, nothing remarkable about the statement; but when you hear it said in the Aussie accent of a 17-year-old girl, it carries a certain charm. I like the Aussie accent; it has an idiosyncratic expressiveness that sets it apart from most others. Life doesn’t have much that’s charming about it these days.

*  *  *

Talking of the Aussie accent, I once saw a documentary which explained how the root of the American accent is West Country English. Well, by the same token, I’m convinced that the root of the Aussie accent is East Anglian English, and the two have been at loggerheads for quite some time. The West Country is one of the places in which the Celtic Britons sought refuge when East Anglia was being rampaged over by the Angle and Saxon barbarians. And during the English Civil War, East Anglia was very much a Roundhead stronghold, while the West Country remained staunchly Royalist.

And do you know how Sellers and Yeatman described the difference between the two sides in 1066 And All That? They said:

‘The Roundheads were Right but Repulsive, whereas the Royalists were Wrong but Wromantic.’

Neat.

No comments: