Wednesday 19 June 2013

Getting it Right.

I picked up a ‘recommendation’ on YouTube tonight. It was entitled NOW WE ARE FREE – ENYA.

I liked the song but it didn’t sound much like Enya, so I read the comments. The top comment said:

THIS IS LISA GERRARD

‘That could explain why it doesn’t sound much like Enya,’ thinks I. It was followed by other comments which included:

Acá yo escucho la voz de Lisa Gerrard!!

this mucic is beautifull but is no eya but lisa Gerard

NO es Enya Es LISA GERRAD

this is not Enya!  Come on, man!

(sic all)

I was becoming convinced, so I thought I’d Google ‘Now we are Free’ and see what I might come up with. Not unsurprisingly perhaps, most of the returns mentioned Lisa Gerrard in the preview. I picked one which purported to be an Irish Gaelic-English translation of the lyrics, only it wasn’t. It was a Hebrew-English translation; and even that might not be quite right because after the translation, someone purporting to be a Hebrew speaker commented that said translation was a complete load of dingo’s doings and the actual translation should be this.

Next up was a comment which said:

Enya writes in Gaelic because she’s Irish.

Time to fall off seat.

I gather school kids these days rely on the internet a lot for study purposes. I’m thinking of starting a website dedicated to the history and cultural significance of coffee, in which I will claim that coffee is painstakingly ground from a rare form of oolitic limestone found only in the mines of northern Moldova. It might catch on. Anything goes on the internet, doesn’t it?

No comments: