Friday 30 November 2018

Shifting Places.

Call me a traditionalist, but when I watch a film I like to know where it’s set. The sense of place happens to be important to me because it establishes the cultural tone.

So tonight I watched a Studio Ghibli film called Kiki’s Delivery Service and I couldn’t help feeling a little disoriented. All the names in the credits were Japanese, so I was expecting it to be set in Japan. Clearly not: Kiki’s home in the opening sequence looked like an English country cottage, but it couldn’t have been set in Britain because the traffic drove on the right (which also precludes Japan.) And then the characters began to talk and they all had American accents, and Kiki called her mother ‘mom.’ So now we’re in America. Are we? Apparently not because the city where Kiki goes to live has south European/Mediterranean architecture. I began to wonder whether we might soon see the Taj Mahal in the distance or a herd of wildebeest sweeping across the savannah.

This isn’t a criticism; I’m sure they had their reasons and it’s a nice film. But I still felt disoriented.

*  *  *

And on the subject of architecture, I was looking at the Christmas cards in Ashbourne yesterday and noticed how many of them featured Moorish/Middle Eastern architecture (because of the three wise men theme.) Such architecture is one of the classic icons of the world of Islam, which I thought amusingly ironic on a Christmas card. And I wondered how I’ve managed to get this far in life without ever noticing that before. I also wonder how I manage to be this tedious after midnight.

No comments: