Tuesday 27 November 2018

On the Blame Culture.

Another thing which bothers me about life in the west these days is the burgeoning blame culture. Rarely a day goes by when there isn’t somebody somewhere screaming blue murder and demanding that those responsible for this, that or the other have to be brought to account and made to pay.

OK, I know there are certain occasions when such an attitude is entirely justified, and I do know that we all have to be held accountable for our actions. And I know that history is full of examples of the guilty getting away with their crimes on a grand scale because they had money and power (and still are in some parts of the world.) But it’s becoming yet another example of the pendulum swinging madly too far in the opposite direction. It seems we’re losing sight of the fact that the world isn’t perfect and neither are people. Mistakes will happen. We all make them.

When it was discovered that a small leica clip had been left in my bladder after the kidney operation and that I would need a second, minor operation to remove it, I was surprised by how many people told me I should sue. My response might be paraphrased thus:

‘Why should I sue? I had an enormous amount of time, care and expense lavished on me, and all of it aimed at saving my life. I spent six hours on the operating table and four in the recovery room, and at the end of it all the surgeon – a highly skilled and dedicated man according to the staff who knew him – made one small, non life-threatening error which was easily rectified. I wouldn’t dream of suing. Wouldn’t that be a most extreme example of churlishness?’

‘But you could make some money,’ one or two of them replied.

Money, money, money… Money makes the world go round… Doesn’t it all so often come down to this obsession with money which the culture here in the ‘developed’ world so emphatically encourages?

‘But I’ve already had some money,’ I was wont to reply. ‘Lots of it – probably hundreds of thousands of pounds worth in time, effort and care. Why would I want more?’

And do you know what? In the end they all agreed with me, so maybe they were conversations worth having.

No comments: