Thursday 29 November 2018

Connected by a Cello.

I’m posting this music video mainly because I think the phrase ‘ghost of a rose’ is one of those phrases which stand out like silver jewels among the shifting sands of the language.



The music is pleasant, too. The melodic phrase which opens the piece is, as I’m sure many will know, lifted straight out of Elgar’s Cello Concerto. I could tell a story about Elgar’s Cello Concerto, but I won’t because I’m slightly ashamed of it.

*  *  *

A young woman with the most darkly compelling eyes kept staring at me today as we passed each other behind the Waitrose store in Ashbourne. I was sure I recognised her and struggled to remember where I’d seen her before. And then I got it. The only other time I’ve seen eyes like those was in another music video on YouTube. They belonged to a young woman cellist who was backing a singer. I watched the video repeatedly for several weeks just to watch the darkly compelling eyes of the cellist, and there they were walking past me behind the Waitrose store In Ashbourne. Isn’t life odd sometimes?

No comments: