Sunday 18 November 2018

How a Thought Does Travel.

I just watched an American movie called The Angel Doll. I’m afraid I wasn’t impressed. The problem was that it constantly trod the fine line between the moving and the mawkish, and too often it slipped on the syrup, became disoriented, and wandered off in the wrong direction, especially at the end.

I went into the kitchen musing on this unfortunate state of affairs and decided that I would have liked to be around a movie theatre when it was being shown. It amused me to think that I could have run onto the stage just before the lights went down and yelled to the audience: Hey, everybody. The kid dies. There are times when eschewing the spoiler alert is indeed a blessing.

Sorry, Americans, but this is something to which you appear to be habitually prone. You will insist on losing the plot and loading the bowl of pathos with so much sugar that the brew becomes unpalatable.

*  *  *

But then that phrase ‘the kid dies’ reminded me of one of my earliest memories. I was around six when I was taken to see an old British film called A Kid for Two Farthings. I well remember bawling so loudly when the young goat died that I had to be removed from the auditorium because I was irritating the rest of the audience. I think I was even told off for it by my mother, but I might have imagined that bit. (I always was a martyr to guilt.)

The point is that if one of the humans had died I wouldn’t have given a tuppeny toss. But the goat? The other memory I have is of wanting the man responsible for the animal’s demise to be killed slowly, methodically and painfully. I got over it, of course; I’ve never been one to bear grudges for very long. And yet I wonder whether that little incident was the source of my loathing for mawkishness.

*  *  *

And then another thought occurred to me. Back in the days when I was of interest to attractive young ladies, I never met one who invited me back to her place and won my affection with the words: ‘Would you like to come and meet my goat?’ What an event that would have been; I think it might even have beaten ‘may I make you a baked Alaska?’ to the gold medal of fond memories, but the sun of abundant fortune never smiled quite strongly enough.

No comments: