Wednesday 28 November 2018

Dipping a Toe into Other Worlds.

Two questions:

1. Do fairies exist?
2. Is the answer to that question a simple yes or no?

You see, I find myself attracted to two theories on the question of reality:

The first has it that our notion of being individual entities operating in a fixed environment is wrong. The environment isn’t fixed, but is to some extent a projection of our perceptions. If that theory is true, then fairies do exist for those who truly believe in them, but don’t for those who don’t.

The second postulates that our environment is fixed, but it isn’t the only environment. Reality is made up of several – maybe an infinite number of – environments, all occupying the same space and time but operating on different wavelengths. In this version, we’re sharing our space with fairies, unicorns, nargles and so on, but we’re not generally aware of them because we’re not trained to recognise wavelengths outside our own spectrum. My own experiences with the Grim and the flock of nocturnal butterflies – not to mention all the things which have mysteriously disappeared and sometimes equally mysteriously re-appeared down the years – leads me to strongly favour this one.

So where do we go from here? Nowhere, because it raises all sorts of ancillary questions around subjects like God, ghosts, death, dreams, magic, insanity, mental aberrations generally, and the effect of mind-altering drugs. All I feel inclined to say further on the matter is:

I’m relieved that I managed to think of a post before reaching midnight on my birthday. Failure to do so would have been a sad dereliction of duty.

If when I die I find that there’s no pudding over there, I’m going to be more than a little disappointed.

No comments: