Sunday 4 November 2018

Not Getting Emma Watson.

At the moment I'm highly nervous about what I might learn from my friendly consultant later this week with regard to my future prospects. That’s why I haven’t been adding sweet and sour little nothings to this blog. Nevertheless, something is irritating me and so I decided to come out of my shell and let off some steam.

Ever since my recent three week love affair with the Harry Potter movies (and Hermione Granger in particular) I’ve been watching quite a few themed compilations on YouTube. So what does the Google machine - which is programmed to assess my every whim and offer me more of like kind - now give me as a recommended topic? It gives me Emma Watson.

So let me ask a question here. Why would I be interested in Emma Watson just because she played the incomparable Hermione Granger in a series of movies? Emma Watson is an actor, effectively a mobile mannequin. None of the roles Ms Watson has played or ever will play can be relied upon to give any indication of her own nature. Such intelligence is known only to her and those close to her. It certainly isn’t known to me and I see no reason why it should be.

Let’s put this simply, albeit figuratively: To those who don’t know her, Emma Watson isn’t real. To fans of Harry Potter, however, Hermione Granger is very real. What’s more, she’s the closest I’ve ever encountered to the perfect woman. For all I know, Emma Watson might be about as interesting as a plate of cold cabbage. And the point is this: I really don’t care whether she is or not, which is why I'm not interested in watching videos about her. Or let’s put it another way: when it comes to the matter of drama, it’s the characters who are important, not the actors.

So please, clever people at YouTube, do stop assuming that I’m one of those drooling inadequates who hang around stage doors no matter what the climatic conditions in the hope of having the opportunity to say ‘Please, Miss Watson, please may I have your autograph. I thought you were absolutely brilliant.’ I’m not, so please stop it.

No comments: