Tuesday 19 September 2017

The Dork in New York.

I see Trump has been doing his Muhammad Ali act at the UN today.

‘We are the greatest,’ he intones while the rest of the delegates exercise those muscles which make the eyes roll in cartoon circles. ‘We can destroy North Korea any time we like. Just try to attack us, Rocket Man, and see how many more minutes you’ve got left in this world.’

Do excuse the paraphrasing, but it’s all very Trumpian, isn’t it?

The trouble is that Trump might have an ego as big as Ali’s, or maybe even bigger, but he doesn’t have the wit, wisdom or sense of humour to go with it.

*  *  *

I once sat in that big chamber in the UN building, you know, when I was a naval officer cadet. Is that something to boast about? Not really. I was but a callow youth at the time and easily impressed. I even bought a postcard of the place.

I might buy a jar of marmalade tomorrow. It’s been years since I had marmalade.

No comments: