Thursday 7 September 2017

Life Made Simple.

I think it’s probably my favourite line from Shakespeare:

… all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death

To sum up the outline of a human life from birth to death in eleven words is surely nothing less than genius. And I’m quite sure that his use of the verb ‘lighted’ was far more informed than the simple nod to metrical expediency might suggest. And I wonder what he meant by ‘fools.’ Was he merely expressing a pejorative attitude towards the human creature generally, or was he referring to the ignorance of that creature with regard to its true nature and purpose? I’ve long felt it likely that whoever wrote the words attributed to Shakespeare had access to arcane knowledge.

I was thinking about that line while having my lunch in the car the other day, and ever since then I’ve been obsessing a little over all my tomorrows.

No comments: